Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Holy Baloney!!

Holy Baloney the last few weeks have been crazy! We finally finished language classes and moved to Kumasi in Ashanti Region for the Counterparts workshop. The APCD was announcing everyones sites and then they would go stand next to their counterpart. He then started talking about how the next person's CP had not yet arrived. I knew it was me and of course the next name to be called was "Tierra Groff." They had no idea where the person was and why they were not answering phone calls. Everyone else was talking to their CPs and learning about what their new home was going to be like. I sat on the stairs. Finally, no longer being able to stand it, I walked around looking at birds and cried about 2.5 tears. After that it was all okay. There was nothing I could do but wait. Finally by the end of the day I was told that they were going to change my site and my CP was coming the next day.
I am so happy with the change!!! Technically I am not supposed to say exactly where I am but I can walk to Cote d'Ivoire if I so desired. The Wild West of Ghana!!! No electricity, my toilet is not yet completed, and there is no public transport to the nearest town that has electricity. I am oddly excited about it. Yesterday we went to visit a poultry farm. I have never seen so many chickens in one place! I helped collect all the eggs which numbered around 800. The hens were pecking at my feet and pants.When I tried to move one off an egg, it would hiss and fluff up its feathers! Quite an experience. Today we are all convening in Techiman. I waited for the trotro for 3 hours, they don't leave the station until they are completely filled, then sat with abosolutely zero room for my legs for 2 hours until I arrived in Wenchi. I am excited to see the other volunteers but at the same time I want to get back to site!! I have so many ideas of things to do and I want to get started right away!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I'm glad you were able to get a CP and also totally fitting that you'd be close to somewhere wild. These posts are exciting, keep em coming! (whenever you can). Also chickens are vicious don't let them get you down or kill you. Just warning. :)

    ReplyDelete